HX-200™ Coating/Dipping Latex is a pre-vulcanized, low viscosity liquid that is widely used for different types of dipping/coating applications and is good for making thin, stretchy skins. Sometimes referred to as a “balloon” latex, this material is also used for a variety of DIY and repair projects. Add color with FabTone pigments.
Do not allow HX-200™ to freeze. The material will not be usable. Store and use material at room temperature (73°F/23°C). This product has a limited shelf life and should be used as soon as possible. Colder temperatures will slow the working/cure time, while warmer temperatures will reduce working time. Wear safety glasses, long sleeves and rubber gloves to minimize contamination risk. Wash thoroughly after handling. Do not eat, drink or smoke in the work area. Keep container closed when not in use.
MIXING AND CURING:
Stir before use. Pour into a dry, unsealed gypsum mold. Tilting or lightly vibrating the mold may help to eliminate bubbles if the mold contains complex undercuts or deep details. For a very thin skin, pour the excess latex back into the container immediately or within a couple of minutes. For a thicker skin, allow the product to stay in the mold longer before pouring off excess. As an example, a standing time (or dwell time) of 30 minutes yields a ~1/16-inch thickness. Two hour dwelling before pouring the excess back into the original container can product a 1/4” thickness. Dense plasters are not as absorbent and, therefore, cause thicknesses to build more slowly. Humidity and ambient temperature will also affect the drying time of latex. Allow HX-200™ to dry in the mold for 12 hours at room temperature prior to pulling it out of the mold.
Before Demolding, lightly dust the inside of the casting with talc in order to prevent the dry rubber from sticking to itself. Avoid exposing the casting to oils, greases or solvents. Castings should be stored out of direct sunlight.
Allergies: Read label carefully. Do not use this product if you have known allergies to rubber latex. If you're unsure, bring the label to your doctor for their advice. If an allergic reaction occurs, stop use and seek medical help right away.